Every occupation is different so below we're going to highlight best practices of maintaining an occupation. Also check out this Beautiful Trouble piece: Tactic, Occupation.
1. Have Fun
No one wants to be at a boring occupation. Make it fun, invite musicians to play some nights, highlight different movement struggles, have a movie night anyway just make it fun.
2. Be Democratic
Occupations take everyone who is occupying to be a part of it and that means having democratic processes for folks to be heard. If there is one group that is trying to control the entire occupation then there will be drama and folks won't feel like they can have ownership if they in fact don't have ownership.
3. Groundrules / Principles from jump
Create a list of ground rules from your occupation from jump so if people break the ground rules you can be clear to remove them. Below is a sample list:
- No drugs or alcohol consumption at the physical occupation.
- No physical harm to any occupiers AND No sexual assault.
- Positive affirmation!!!
- No negotiating with powerful individuals (electeds, police chiefs etc) unless it is agreed upon with the entire group.
- No racism, sexism, homophobia tolerated here.